Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spreading My Wings

It has been an exciting past week getting very inky with the Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry 101 online classes. I feel like a kid in a candy store discovering new blends of my favourite chocolate! I have fallen in love with several of the techniques Tim has shown during the courses. I do not think any of these techniques are new but they are new to me. I wanted to see how many I could fit onto one tag for the Simon Say Stamp and Show Tag Challenge. I also created this tag for the first challenge for the Frilly and Funkie Challenge. The first challenge is What's Your Vintage Style. My Vintage Style is definately more Funkie than Frilly. But I am sure I will manage to throw in some lacey frills occassionally.  I love metal, gears, machinery, trains, vintage race cars (I am an engineer in real life) and bright colours, a reflection of my bright, chirpy, quirky possibly bordering on annoying personality.   You can read all the details on how I made this tag after all of the pictures.









I created a background with the Marbled Stains Technique (1) using Distress Stains

Used the Stamping with Stains technique(2) by stamping a background image from Papillon Set with Picket Fence Distress Stain over the marbeled layer

Stamped Tim Holtz Eiffel Tower from I See Paris Set and Artistic Outpost postmark from the Artistic Outpost Charles and Amelia Plate with Black Archival Ink.

I created a tag using the Rusted Enamel technique(3). I used that tag and the Sewing Room Die to cut out the model dress form.

I cut a little rectangle of sticky back canvas, stamped the gears image from the Artistic Outpost Industrial Backgrounds plate with Snow Cap White Acrylic paint then added various colours of distress stains to make the gears visable. This is the Paint Dauber Resist Technique. (4) I cut out the body of the dress from using the sewing room die and stuck it to the rusted enamel piece.

I altered the flutterby grunge wings using the Shattered Stains technique (5) 

That's it for the techniques. And now onto the other neat things I like about this tag:
The stained seam binding at the top spruced up with a idea-ology word key, pearl and pin.
Corregated cardboard from the Funkie Junkie Zibbit Shop die cut with large and smaller Tim Holtz sizzix gear dies then aged with distress inks and embellished with Large and Small Gears and sprockets. I added some washers and hammered brads on the right side.
I added an appropriate inspirational quote from Dyan Reaveley's Quintessential Quotes set
Finally, I LUUUUUUUUUURRRVE the bling I added to the dress form. I added some very small round watch bits to the neckline and front. I used two swival clasps for the belt and added a compass from The Funkie Junkie.

Woosh, that was a lot of informationfor such a small creation! I had a lot of fun making this tag! And this is what it is all about!!!!!!!!

Thanks for visiting!
Heidi

15 Comments:

Catherine said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Heidi ! The colours and embellies are stunning ! Fantastic creation Sweetie ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

Anonymous said...

Wow Heidi ! I absolutely LOVE your tag ! I've had to go back and look 3 times ! The detail and all the techniques are just amazing, I especially love the butterfly ! Thanks so much for sharing your fabulous tag with us in our first challenge at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm sorry.... where is the ***love*** button? Your tag is absolutely GORGEOUS! So many awesome elements, and it all comes together beautifully. Love the way you've built up so many layers. Thanks so much for joining in our first Frilly & Funkie challenge... hope you will be a regular!

Victoria said...

amazing work

Riet said...

This is so wonderful Heidi.

Hugs Riet.xx

Teresa Kline said...

wow, lots of sweet extras here..I luv this...so glad you played along with us at F&F!

enjoy *~*

Teresa - My Crafty Heart said...

Hi Heidi, This tag wonderful, the techniques and details are fab, you can see there is such a lot of work, very beautiful, Hugs, Teresa x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Rocking awesome Heidi!!! I love all the cogs and gears, and extra detail embellies! That dressform is special! What a super fun tag...just wow!!! Thank you for playing along with us at Frilly & Funkie!

Candy C said...

Really cool pocket tag, Heidi! I love the colors you used on this. There is so much detail. I love everything about it! <3 Candy

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Holy moly, Heidi! This is an absolute gem, a total feast of eye candy. So many amazing details, I can't even say I love this or that because I love EVERYTHING about it. I really must try dabber resist on the sticky back canvas. I've failed at it so many times stamping on cardstock that I finally decided never to try it again. Now you have inspired me to try it at least once more! This is one fab piece and I love seeing how you used all the items from my shop - thanks so much for the shout out and the links!

I'm so thrilled that you joined us for our first challenge at Frilly and Funkie. Hope you will be a regular!

Hugs,
Linda

MD said...

waouhhhhh superbe réalisation bravo**
md

Candy C said...

HI again Heidi! I already commented on your tag when I saw it on Frilly and Funkie. But, I'm so glad that you entered it into Simon Says Stamp and Show as well. It's got some fantastic detailing!! I love it all! The metal you've added to it....that is just perfection! Really a cool design and great colors! <3 Candy

Candy C said...

Hey Heidi. Thank you so much for the very nice comment you left on my blog! I love Linda’s new Frilly and Funkie Challenge, don’t you?!?!

You've been crankin' out some fantastic projects, girl!! WOW!

Have a great weekend.

<3 Candy

ellen vargo designs said...

Hi Heidi - your tag is absolutely amazing! So many layers and textures - my favorite! Thanks for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show! Ellen :)

Candy C said...

Hey Heidi....Thanks for the post!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with for your Wendy challenge piece! <3 Candy

Post a Comment

Thanks You for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!