Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mixed Media experiment....

 I need waaaaay more practice at this mixed media stuff.

I learned about the Simon Say Stamp and Show Take Your Pick London, Paris or New York challenge on this post by Shelly. Then another Heidi told me about it by leaving a comment on my recent London Calling Post. But that project didn't qualify for the challenge since it was posted prior to that challege being announced. I loved all the techniques that Candy used in her Gorgeous Cherrio Creation, especially the Union Jack Background. So I got inky. I tried various types of inks on my Artistic Outpost Union Jack, acrylic, distress reinkers, my new distress markers. I scanned them and resized to fit on this 6"x6" canvas board. Glued it on, covered with antique linen stain. I took one of the Union Jacks, cut it out with the Love Struck Heart and covered it with Rock Candy Crackle. I stamped various other images from Tim Holtz and Artistic Outpost. I'm not too keen on the final result. The Lions look too fuzzy. I took Ranger Silver adhesive paper, stuck it to some thin chipboard and die cut it with a crown sizzix die and embossed it with a swiss dots folder. Added the heart and a smaller crown. (Another entry for the Inspiration Emporium Put a Heart on it Challenge) The numbers were covered with sparkly embossing powder (think Diamonds for the Queens Jubilee). I added the red and white flowers to signify the Rose of England. I do see myself doing a smaller version of this piece. It might turn out better now that I know how various inks work when combined with other inks.

I stocked up on various sizes of canvas boards today so I plan on practising this mixed media stuff more. It is really fun. I love the vintage photos that people use in their creations. But I want to use images that have some significance to me. I went looking through some old family albums and have some pictures I am going to scan for future projects. I will have to break out the old slide viewer since a number of pictures I want are on slides.  I love the image of the girl that Candy used in her project. It reminds me of the Queen's Silver Jubilee back in 1977. I vaguely remember it as I was 4 at the time and do remember seeing the Queen on tour.

Thank you to the Simon Says Stamp and Show team for giving me so much inspiration.

Thanks for visiting! I do love reading your comments.
Heidi


6 Comments:

nessy said...

wow you are on a roll with these amazing creations ~love it!!
vanessa xx

Catherine said...

I simply adore everything about this creation Heidi ! You are such a talented Lady ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

Candy C said...

Heidi...Your London piece is WONDERFUL!!! Great job of stamping and scanning your Union Jack to fit your canvas for the background! LOVE IT! I love your Union Jack "Lovestruck" heart as well! Great use of Tim's heart! I just love everything about it!! Thanks for mentioning me in your blog piece! It really makes my day to know that I inspired you so much to create such a beautiful piece! And thank you for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show! <3 Candy

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Heidi.

Hugs Riet.xx

Sarah said...

I remember the Jubilee too! I was 7 and dresses up as a hulu hulu girl in a Hawaiian crepe paper grass skirt! This is a great project and full of wonderful details and colours! Love the crown...Thanks for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp & Show! Sarah.

Robyn Phelan Sharp said...

I love this...such a cool use of the stamps and mixed media

Post a Comment

Thanks You for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!