Thursday, April 12, 2012

First Glimpse of my first official Art Journal

In the Spirit of Tim Holtz Tags of 2012, here is my version of the April 2012 Tag. BUT...since I don't really know what to do with the completed tags, I decided to covert the tag to something I could use in my first official Art journal.
(Please keep on reading after this first picture to see what I did with this tag.)


Now I say, first official, because I have always been a journaler of sorts. Or...someone who collected a bunch of little nicknacks/papers/ and stuck them in a book with an occasional thought written or expressed with magazine letters. Now I am using real art supplies in a real moleskine journal! So to me that makes it official lol! I have already created an AWESOME cover which I'll share at a later date. I decided to use my April 2012 Tag for the inside cover.




Over the past couple of months, I have found so many artists that overwhelm me with their creative genuis. One of these individuals is Sarah Engels-Greer. I am constantly visiting her blog to stare at all of her creations. Plus it's fun to read about her house decorating escapades. I wasn't ready to submit any of my "I'm new to mixed media pieces" to her My Monthly Mojo Challenge for March. And I'm probably not ready to submit to the My Monthly Mojo for April-Tagology, but I wanted to acknowledge how she has inspired me. I found myself wandering through my local hardware store looking for electrical boxes to use in a future project because of this piece she created!  I know my use of the Tag theme isn't that creative, but it is going in a very important creative piece.

The front of my journal says "Enjoy the Journey". Tim used a Word Band on his April Tag "The Journey Awakens the Soul". I thought this was perfect for the inside cover. I have been through a lot in the past few years, I feel I am at some sort of precipice to truly discovering and understanding myself and my role in this massive Universe (I think I've been watching too much Science/Discovery Channel television). Anyhoo...
The magenta background was a layer of acyrlic paint spread on with a credit card. I topped it with a layer of semi crinkled Idea-Ology Tissue paper. I took a peice of 12x12 Manilla Card and experimented with my new Dylusion Sprays using stencils, water, and kitchen roll. I took that completed cool looking inked piece and cut out letters using my new Word Play die. I also cut out a set of black letters. I glued them to the tag pieces and added Glossy Accents. I added my bird and branch topped with silver crown. I added a smaller tag embossed and stamped using the same technique as the big tag. I added April 2012 as the date of the start of the journal/journey.

Here is the list of challenges that I am entering my "tag turned into inside cover of journal"

Thanks for visiting!
Heidi

8 Comments:

Sarah said...

Hello Heidi,
Firstly thanks for such a wonderful write-up...big blushes here!!!! I'm very glad to hear you are inspired by my random inky ramblings!!! Hope you have found some great hardware too....
I love you take on the Tim Tag - such wonderful tones...and your journal is fabulous - great colours and glossy letters - most definitely a worthy entry at MMM. Good for you for taking up the creative drive and creating your own piece.
Thanks so much for sharing with My Mojo Monthly! Sarah.

Winnie said...

Wow...I love that Tim's tag inspired you to use the look in a layout in an art journal. I have been loving them, but haven't tried one yet. I love yours and the playfulness of the letters and the great background. I will check out the link of the other blogger with her work. Thanks for inspiring me.

Riet said...

This is so beautiful Heidi.

Hugs Riet.xx

Anonymous said...

Fabulous tag Heidi and your journal looks amazing, I've not ventured through that particular door yet but I feel it may be on the horizon ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Unknown said...

Beautiful work Heidi! What a lovely idea to add it to your journal too! Thank you for joining the team at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week ... we hope to see you again soon!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Heidi awesome April tag, and your journal is a wow!!! Love how vintage and grungy feel of it...gorgeous!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Terrific tag, Heidi! I love the colors and textures and that new bird/branch die is fabulous! I haven't gotten into the art journaling thing yet, but your post has certainly inspired me! Lots of wonderful textures there too.

Sarah is one of my favorite artists and I totally agree with you about how inspiring she is. Her art really calls to me and pushes me to the next level.

So happy to see you back with us again this week at Frilly and Funkie!

Hugs,
Linda

Ibarra Creations 4U said...

Beautiful layout and colors!!! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks You for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!