Friday, June 1, 2012

Dad's Birthday Mural

Happy June 1! Today is my Dad's 70th Birthday. 
I've got something very special to show you today, and I am entering is into two challenges;  

I am excited to finally show you the masterpiece I have made for one of his gifts!  To give you some background, we are originally from England and my dad is a massive WWII buff! So those in the United Kingdom will surely appreciate this.  My Dad is from Coventry England and was three when WWII ended. His mother, my Grannie Winkie told stories of how she had to run for cover while German Bombers were attacking Coventry.  In making this piece I was trying to capture some history to help preserve the past. 

There are two 16"x20" pieces. The one on the left focuses on British WWII planes. The one on the right focuses on Prevailing through the War with a positive attitude. Scroll down to see detailed shots and some added commentary for personal meaning. 

The eight rusted bolts came from our back garden deck, I got the wire mesh from my local hardware store and spent some time rusting it with chemicals from my local craft shop. I added Tim Holtz Metal embellishments and flowers to "frill" it up.   The images were printed on Artist transfer Paper and then ironed onto Mulberry Paper and then added to layers of cardboard using matte medium. This piece is for personal use only, so there are (hopefully) no copy write violations.


Going Anti-clockwise starting in the top left corner:
Hurricane
Wellington
Mosquito
Lancaster
Spitfire
Winston Churchill Quote
There are tiny pewter models of each plane on each picture (Close ups below)
I am always so amazed how my dad and brother can quickly identify these planes (don't they all look the same).....yet I can quickly identify Tim Holtz and Stampin Up colours!

Going Anti-clockwise starting in the top left corner:
Coventry Cathedral after bombing
New Coventry Cathedral
St. Paul's Cathedral
Union Jack
My favourite poster from the Keep Calm and Carry On morale boosting posters created during WWII.
I think the sentiment is perfect for ANY difficult situation, and it is with those words I face every day!


Hurricane

Wellington. The Time Holtz pieces signify the secret code breaking....secrets and knowledge.

"Wooden Wonder" aka Mosquito

Lancaster

Spitfire







Coventry Catherdral after being bombed. Coventry was a target because of all of the significant engine building/industrial manufacturing so I added some Tim Holtz gears


I love this image of St. Paul's Catherdral withstanding the War. The Union Jack was made using Artistic Outpost London Underground Plate. 


Finally, do you remember my Attitude Hanging I made for last Monthly My Monthly Mojo? It earned me top honours by the master metal maker herself! I love Sarah's work and love how she can alter metal to look so cool! I love her latest Sardine tin creation.  (I also love the fact that I have been rescuing, washing, and squirreling away some sardine tins so I might have a go at making something fun)

Thanks for visiting! Happy Queen's Jubilee Weekend!
Heidi



6 Comments:

Unknown said...

Wauw this is stunning!
Congratulations to your dad.

Lisa Minckler said...

Unbelievably wonderful work here! Love them all. :)

Sarah said...

What a fabulous creation - and a wonderful gift and keepsake. I'm sure your Dad will absolutely love it. My dad is a plane freak too and I knew what a Hurricane, Vulcan and Spitfire were as a little girl! Love the wire mesh - but you know that! Hope you have a great family time and thanks so much for joining in with My Mojo Monthly. Sarah.

Carissa said...

Heidi, this is stunning. I am sure your father will adore it.
Hugs, Carissa

Unknown said...

This is magnificent Heidi! Thank you for playing along with the team at Simon Says Stamp and Show ... apologies for may rather late comment!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This would makes a man cry tears of joy!!! ABSOLUTELY ROCKING AWESOME!!! I love every single detail...love the metal!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks You for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!